14 January 2009

Art Jonak on Orrin

I was looking for some word on Randy & Tara Shroeder's enrollment into MonaVie (and the alleged million dollar bribe), and was pleasantly surprised to read a highly positive review of Orrin Woodward and "Launching A Leadership Revolution" book from Art Jonak, a veteran in the community building industry. Here is Art in his own words -

Troy,

I had the pleasure of spending two days with Mr. Orrin Woodward this week. A truly amazing and inspiring leader.

Orrin shared with me: “As we grow in leadership, we have more responsibility and less privilege.” We had a full hour-long discussion just on this topic.

With rising levels of leadership, people will take shots at you. It’s part of the process.

I do my best to follow Carnegie’s three “C’s” : Never Criticize, Condemn or Complain (from How To Win Friends and Influence People). I’ve seen the 3 C’s serve many of my mentors and their professions very well. Tom “Big Al” Schreiter always reminded me of the 3 C’s early on in my career.

We should directly put ourselves into somebody else’s shoes, with their perspectives, history, relationships, current circumstances, etc. before we even begin to consider Criticizing, Condemning or Complaining about them or about what they do / did.

For the most part, I’ve found top Network Marketing leaders to be good people who lead based in ways they believe to be best. And once you meet them in person, you start to truly see their perspective.

Mark Yarnell once said:

“We are the only profession who circle our wagons and shoot ‘inward’ when attacked.” (I paraphrase as I don’t remember the exact quote.)

As Network Marketing Professionals, let’s be part of the solution, not the problem. Let’s celebrate the successes (Dallin — I celebrate your success with Monavie! Your success is great for everyone in Network Marketing and direct sales) and let’s do our best to fix the imperfections (there will always be ways to do better).

Troy, I applaud you for reflecting back, looking at things from a bird’s eye-view, for looking at the long-term picture.

“The rising tide lifts all ships.”

I believe we have an obligation to raise the Network Marketing Profession up at every possibility, to bring Network Marketing mainstream. We are all still the “pioneer generation” of Network Marketing. Let’s do our best to give Network Marketing a stellar reputation, so as the next generation of leaders who join, they are joining a profession where the masses say, “Network Marketing? It’s FANTASTIC!”

Troy, thank you for always growing, for always working on you, for doing what you believe is best.

I appreciate you,

-Art Jonak

PS: If you have not read Orrin Woodward and Chris Brady’s book “Launching a Leadership Revolution” may I suggest anyone reading this post to pick up a copy ASAP. . . and read it. I’ve read it twice, I use it as a leadership manual and have even have my 15-year young daughter reading it.


No comments:

Post a Comment